'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY

'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY
My first build (2007) - designed by Hannu Vartiaala (Hannu's Boatyard)

Sunday 5 February 2012

Dinghy Cruising

I enjoy the challenges and rewards of building small boats, but get at least as much please (if not more) from sailing them.  My family sail a Lune Whammel:





she is the one in the foreground of this shot of members of the Dinghy Cruising Association sailing in company.  She is a 17 foot (5.2m) gaff sloop, a design adapted from the inshore fishing craft of the Lune Estuary in the North West of the UK.  We use her for day sailing and dinghy cruising (camp cruising in the USA ?).  She's a good boat for the job but eventually I want to build a slightly stretched (by 10%) version of John Welsford's 'Pilgrim' design; I think that 'Pilgrim' will be an even better design for the waters off the South West coast of Wales where we live and sail.

For more on the Dinghy Cruising Association:




please have a look at our website (in my Links).  Although we are UK based, we have members worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment