'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY

'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY
My first build (2007) - designed by Hannu Vartiaala (Hannu's Boatyard)

Friday 20 December 2013

First Component Assembly

The Moonfish design uses the inverted deck accurately marked out as the building jig for the frame.  Here you can see that, after I marked out the positions of the bulkheads and stringers on the deck in pencil, I covered them with parcel tape and then remarked with permanent marker:

The tape is to prevent the frame sticking to the deck at this stage of assembly; the green polythene sheet serves the same function for the daggerboard/mast trunking assembly.  The cleats around the sheerlines are screwed on temporarily and will be used when fixing the hull side panels to the frame.

I start the daggerboard trunk in two halves. When it was accurately dry assembled, I drilled it for dowels which will provide accurate and positive location during assembly:

I've learned the hard way that epoxy coated components are slippery and tricky to clamp together accurately !

Once those packing pieces were glued on, I then coated the trunk sides with glass cloth and epoxy:

These will need a second coat of epoxy before assembly of the trunk.  Once assembled, the ends formed by the packing pieces will be covered by glass tape and epoxy.

Next up is the bow stringer, which gets doublers at the bow and packing pieces where it goes into the daggerboard/mast trunking:






This will be the last post on construction until 2014, as we are decamping to Pembrokeshire for the Christmas and New Year.  I listened to my last student presentations today, although I do have the coursework for their Master's module to assess and mark over the holidays !


No comments:

Post a Comment