'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY

'PORTUGUESE' DINGHY
My first build (2007) - designed by Hannu Vartiaala (Hannu's Boatyard)

Sunday 15 December 2013

A Weekend's Work

The splice of the deck sheet has worked out well, although - given the low (for UK) temperature - it took over 48 hours for the epoxy to cure:

After which I planed down to the marks all round and then marked out the positions of the bulkheads.  Either there is a discrepancy in the plans between the sheet cutting plan and the bulkhead position plan, or I have cut the bow of the deck out 20mm short !  I'm pretty certain its not me as I have checked & re-checked my marking out against the plans before cutting.  Whatever, the sheer line is fair and I reckon that I will be able to adjust the side and bottom sheets if necessary.

The next step is to assemble the daggerboard/mast trunk (you can just see it under the bench in the photo above).  Here's a better view of it in the process of being dry assembled:

The bulkheads are there to provide reference points and the bow stringer (with 6mm doublers either side of the forward 76mm) forms part of the trunking assembly.

Here's a view of the daggerboard slot:

Getting this the right width (not fully specified in the plans) took quite a bit of calculation - factoring in the thickness of the 2 layers of 12mm ply, glue joint and glassing the sides of the well, plus 3mm play on each side. 

Here's as shot of the mast well:

which is easier to calculate (again, not given in the plans) as I know the OD of the mast tube. The packing pieces immediately fore and aft of the well are oak from my offcuts box as I reckon that this area is going to take a fair amount of stress - so I want something tougher than the pine recommended in the plans

To the left of the clamp, there is a complex joint where the bow stringer enters the trunking.  This requires some experimentation with packing pieces (no, sizes not in the plans !) to get a good fit:

Once I've got the fit right, I'll tidy up the packers to match the bow stringer, bulkhead and trunking.

Next up will be the glueing up, which I think will be at least a 2 stage process.



No comments:

Post a Comment